A lot of games have failed to start because of d3dx9_42.dll. When games like Need For Speed, Sid Meier’s Civilization V, and Blur are launched, the error “The program can’t start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer. Try installing the program to fix this problem.” is displayed.
This error comes as a direct result of the absence of DirectX. The mentioned dll is a DirectX 9 dependency and won’t work if installed. The only way to solve this issue is to install DirectX, which is what we’re going to do in this article. We’ll also try updating the graphics drivers, as they contain certain important libraries.
Method 1: Installing DirectX End-User Runtimes
- Visit this link and download DirectX 9.
- Visit the download folder and launch the DirectX 9 installer with the filename: dxwebsetup.exe.
- Follow the prompts to install and complete the installation.
- Try launching the game to confirm if the problem has been solved.
Method 2: Updating Graphics Drivers
It’s very unlikely you’ll get to this method, but you should try updating the graphics driver if DirectX doesn’t work.
- Press Windows + X and select Device Manager. You can alternatively, press Windows + R to open the command prompt, type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
- Expand the Display adapters category and then right-click on the video card, select Update Driver, and follow the prompts.
- After installing the video driver on your PC, and then make a reboot and verify if the game launches flawlessly.
Also check out: d3dx9_43.dll is missing
PRO TIP: If the issue is with your computer or a laptop/notebook you should try using the Reimage Plus Software which can scan the repositories and replace corrupt and missing files. This works in most cases, where the issue is originated due to a system corruption. You can download Reimage Plus by Clicking Here