Some users of Avast Antivirus have reported the application for closing NVIDIA Control Panel (NVcpl) when trying to enable or disable SLI, with Avast detecting it as a virus. This is very annoying and makes it difficult to use the control panel while Windows is running.
Avast, and other antiviruses are known for their interference with certain applications. To fix this issue, we’ll try updating Avast, as the issue has been fixed, disabling Avast Self-Protection and finally, disabling SLI quickly before Avast initializes.
If the first method doesn’t work, you should go ahead and try to the others too.
Method 1: Updating Avast
Avast’s issue with NVIDIA control panel was fixed in an update. Hence, updating Avast should fix the problem. You can do this by duplicating these steps.
- Open Avast Antivirus and go to Settings.
- In the Settings, click on the Update tab and click on Update under the Program category.
- Restart your PC to apply the updates and try opening the NVIDIA Control Panel to confirm if Avast doesn’t interrupt the process.
Alternatively, you can right-click on the Avast icon in the taskbar and select Update > Program
Method 2: Disabling Avast Self-Protection Module
Avast has a real time scanner which actively scans for threats and deals with them. You can try disabling the Self-Protection module temporarily to enable you enable or disable SLI.
- Right-click on the Avast icon in the taskbar and select Program Settings > Troubleshooting and enable Disable Avast! Self-Defence Module. At this time the module should be deactivated.
- Head over to the NVIDIA Control Panel and try disabling SLI to confirm if the issue has been resolved.
Method 3: Disable SLI on Boot
Avast takes a while to fully initialize. So if you’re fast enough, you can disable SLI before the program fully initializes. It may not work for everyone as PC speeds vary, but it’s worth the try.
PRO TIP: If the issue is with your computer or a laptop/notebook you should try using the Reimage Plus Software which can scan the repositories and replace corrupt and missing files. This works in most cases, where the issue is originated due to a system corruption. You can download Reimage Plus by Clicking Here