The Debian-based Deepin Linux distro has just been updated to Deepin 15.7, which falls under the project’s new versioning scheme. Among its features are a smaller ISO footprint, laptop power optimizations which should yield a 20% longer standby time, support for NVIDIA PRIME, lower memory consumption, and just overall bug fixes and improvements to the distro.
There’s a lot of improvements to be found in this release, including a rebuilt network plugin, optimized system volume, an optimized switching effect between desktops, and updates to Google Chrome and Firefox Quantum (ZH).
deepin (formerly, Deepin, Linux Deepin, Hiweed GNU/Linux) is a Debian-based distribution (it was Ubuntu-based until version 15 released in late 2015) that aims to provide an elegant, user-friendly and reliable operating system. It does not only include the best the open source world has to offer, but it has also created its own desktop environment called DDE or Deepin Desktop Environment which is based on the Qt 5 toolkit. Deepin focuses much of its attention on intuitive design.
Its home-grown applications, like Deepin Software Centre, DMusic and DPlayer are tailored to the average user. Being easy to install and use, deepin can be a good Windows alternative for office and home use.
Starting with version 15.7, deepin will adopt a new version number and upgrade strategy: the version number format is x.y.z.
Therefore, deepin 15.7 will be the first version to focus on system optimization and stability fixes under this rule. Additionally, deepin 15.7 fully synchronizes the latest repository components of upstream Debian, so if you upgrade from an earlier version (including 15.6) to 15.7, you will receive more than 1G updates. This process, depending on your Internet bandwidth, may be as short as 10 minutes and as long as hours. Please wait patiently for the full upgrade, do not shut down or unplug the power during the process, otherwise you may not be able to enter the system.
The summary changelog is as follows:
- Fixed the memory leakage caused by switching wallpapers;
- Fixed the deadlock issue of the property window in File Roller;
- Fixed icon loss in Launcher;
- Fixed the bug that no keyboard layout was shown on greeter interface;
- Fixed the wrong partition number shown in Deepin Installer;
- Fixed the bug that notifications were hidden when show desktop;
- Fixed the bug that the login password cannot be input after waking the computer;
- Fixed the confusion of Intel Compatible Mode and Intel Acceleration Mode in Deepin Graphics Driver Manager;
- Fixed the blank OSD when adjusting volume and brightness;
- Fixed the wrong notification location (bottom right corner) when recovering from suspend mode;
- Fixed the drag and drop issue in Deepin Font Installer;
- Fixed the incorrect memory info in Deepin System Monitor.Internal test conclusion
Prior to deepin official release, usually an internal test is implemented among a small number of community users, then we record their feedbacks and fix the bugs. Before deepin 15.7 release, internal upgrade test and public ISO installation test are carried out.
In this release, we would like to thank all the internal testing team and the community users.