Desktop shortcuts are the links on the desktop that are created for providing easier access to a certain program, file, folder or a website. These shortcuts can be identified by an icon and a shortcut arrow placed on it. The main benefits of creating desktop shortcuts are stated below:
- They save your time whenever you want to access a specific file or folder.
- They prevent you from the hassle of memorizing the complex file paths.
- They save your search time.
- You can conveniently delete these desktop shortcuts at any time you feel without messing up with your actual files or folders.
Every operating system provides a way through which we can create the desktop shortcuts very conveniently. However, many people find it tricky to create desktop shortcuts on Ubuntu because, in Ubuntu, this process is not as simple as it is in the Windows operating system. Therefore, in this article, we will explain to you the method through which you can create desktop shortcuts on Ubuntu.
How to Create Desktop Shortcuts on Ubuntu?
In order to create desktop shortcuts on Ubuntu, you will need to perform the following steps:
- Click on the File Manager icon located on your Ubuntu Desktop as highlighted in the image shown below:
- Now locate the file whose shortcut you want to create on the desktop. In our case, it is a.cpp.
- Right-click on this file in order to launch a menu and then click on the Create Link option from this menu. As soon as you will click on this option, a link to the desired file will be created at the same location as shown in the following image:
- Now right-click on the newly created link in order to launch a menu and select the “Move to” option from this menu. As soon as you will click on this option, the Select Move Destination window will appear on your screen.
- Choose Desktop as your move destination and then click on the Select button as highlighted in the image shown above.
- As soon as you will select the move destination, the shortcut to your desired file will appear on your desktop as highlighted in the following image:
Appuals.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and we get a commission on purchases made through our links.