Microsoft Teams is a tool that allows users to collaborate through workspace chat and videoconferencing. The ability to add guests is a feature where users can invite persons from outside the organization to join the video meetings. Multiple users have reported the issue that they were unable to add guests to the Microsoft Team meetings.
- Make sure you take care of the following preliminary steps before you proceed to the solutions
- Team-Org wide level has the guest option turned on
- The sharing settings are verified in Sharepoint
Method 1: Add Guest User as a Contact
Most of the time the users are not able to add guests in because they do not have that option enabled or configured correctly. In this method, we will add the guests or external user as a contact in Office365 and in Azure Active Directory. For this, the user needs to add external contacts in the tenant first. We will use the Exchange admin center for this purpose. Microsoft Exchange Admin center is a web-based management console that lets the user manage their exchange Online Services.
- Open the Office 365 Admin by clicking on this URL.
- Click on the Exchange option and this will take you to Exchange Admin Center in a separate window
- Click Contacts at Dashboard and create the external contacts.
- Once done open the Microsoft Teams Client Calls app on your PC and click on the Add Contact and add the guest contacts there as well.
- Now you should be able to create Team appointment for these guests.
- If this still does not help go Azure Active Directory Admin Center.
- Click on Users and then select All Users (preview).
- Click on the New user button and from below click on the option that says Invite user.
- Once done go to User Settings and click on the Manage External Collaboration Settings link under the External Users.
- Go to User Settings and click on the Manage External Collaboration Settings link under the External Users.
- Make sure that the option Allow invitations to be sent to any domain (most inclusive) is turned on.
Method 2: User Power Shell Commands
Windows Powers Shell is a command-line utility that provides the user functionality to control and automate Windows applications. It provides much more control than the native graphical user interface does. In this method, we will use the Windows Power shell to add guests to the Microsoft Teams. Please see the steps below:
- Go to Windows Menu and Type Power Shell and right-click to open as Administrator
- Make sure you have the Office365 module installed on your computer, If not enter the following commands to install.
Install-Module -Name MSOnline Install-Module -Name MicrosoftTeams
- Use the below command to store your user name and password in a variable so you do not have to enter them every time you connect to Microsoft Office 365. When you will type this command a new dialog box will appear asking for your user name and password.
$M365credentials = Get-Credential
- Now enter the following command to connect to Office365
Connect-MsolService -Credential $M365credentials
- You will not get any message if you get connected or not, so you can enter the following command to verify your connection
- Now enter the following command to enable the guest users
Set-MsolCompanySettings -UsersPermissionToReadOtherUsersEnabled $True
- Now try adding the guest users and see if that works for you.