Google’s contacts backup is one of the best contacts backup solutions for Android users. Since changing phones is inevitable, backing up contacts is a handy feature to avoid looking for them every now and then when you change to a new phone for some reason.
Google provides a backup feature to every Android phone which attaches all the saved contacts to your Google Account. These contacts can later be restored from any Android phone where or accessed from a Computer.
How to Enable Contacts Backup to Google on Android
- Open your phone Settings
- Scroll down and tap on Accounts and backup
- Click on Accounts
- Find your Gmail account from the list of accounts and click on it and from there click on Sync account
- Turn on the toggle button for Contacts. If you have more than one Gmail account and you would like to save different contacts in different accounts, then repeat the steps for the other accounts
Sometimes you will have contacts backup enabled but some contacts won’t be backed up. This happens when you change the destination storage to either a SIM or phone when creating a new contact. Contacts already stored on SIM memory can not be backed up to Google except when you create new ones to be stored in the Google Account.
However, contacts stored on the phone’s memory can be backed up. Follow these steps to enable backup and synchronization for device contacts:
Note: Device contacts can only be backed up to one of the Gmail accounts on the phone
- Open your phone Settings
- Scroll down and tap on Google
- Click on Account services
- open Google Contacts sync
- Tap on the section labeled Also sync device contacts and then select the account you would like to use for device contacts
How to Backup Contacts to Different Google Accounts
If you have more than one Google account on your phone, say a personal and work account, then there are chances that you would like to have particular contacts backed up to specific accounts. You can only do this when creating the contact.
- Open the dial pad and enter the phone number you would like to save
- Tap on Add to Contacts (This might differ depending on the type of phone you’re using)
- Tap on Create new contact
- At the top of the contact details is a drop-down with various choices for storage and by default, the primary Google account is selected.
- Click on it and specify the account to which this particular contact should be saved and finish up with the saving.
How to Restore Contacts from Google to a New Phone
Usually, if you log your Google Account into a new phone, synchronization will start right away and all your previously backed up data will be restored including contacts, photos, and more. But in case your contacts haven’t been restored, follow these simple steps to have them restored.
- Open the Setting app on your phone
- Scroll down and navigate to Google
- At the bottom of the menu, you’ll see Set up and restore. Tap on it.
- Click on Restore contacts
- Tap on From account and select the Gmail account with the contacts you would like to restore
- Wait for a few minutes and then check your contact list for the restored contacts