We live in a day and age where there’s an app for absolutely everything. But what if you have busted hardware? Well, there’s an app for that, too! This app gets you an exclusive and only-for-you appointment for an audience with an expert who can help you with whatever hardware (or even software) issues you are facing with your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, or other Apple product. We’re talking about an appointment at a Genius Bar. Genius Bars are tech-support stalls at Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers, manned by trained and certified professionals who can help resolve issues with and, if need be, repair Apple products.
If you simply walk into an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and ask to have your Apple product looked at, you might have to wait for a significant amount of time depending on how busy the store is and how swamped the Genius Bar is. You could be stuck waiting for hours! Setting up an appointment at the Genius Bar before you take your Apple product in to be looked at will not only save you a lot of time but also guarantees that your issue will be addressed the moment you arrive. And to top it all off, it’s incredibly easy to do – all you need is an iPhone, iPad or a computer or device of any kind that can connect to the internet.
Note: You should only be making an appointment at the Genius Bar if you require support for a hardware issue with an Apple product. If you require support with software or Apple services, or need help setting an Apple product up, simply walk into an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and ask for help (or text, call, or email Apple’s tech support for help).
How to Make an Appointment at the Genius Bar on an iPhone or iPad
The incredibly helpful folks at Apple have gone as far as to create an entire application just to provide constant support to their customers – the Apple Support app on iOS. As long as you have a functional iPhone or iPad, you can use this app to make an appointment to have whatever issue you’re facing addressed at the Genius Bar. In order to do so, simply:
- Download the Apple Support app from the App Store.
- Once the app has been downloaded, launch it.
- On the Welcome screen, tap on Get Started.
- You will now be presented with a list of all the Apple products registered on your Apple ID. Scroll through this list and tap on the product you require assistance with. Alternatively, you can also search for the specific issue you’re facing with the Apple product in question.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to pinpoint and refine the description of the issue you require assistance with.
- When the app has narrowed down the problem you’re facing, it will display a list of the support options recommended for you. If the app determines the best course of action to be a repair, it will display the Bring in for repair option as your recommended support option at the top of your screen. Tap on Find Locations Now under Bring in for repair to proceed.
Note: If the Bring in for Repair option is not your recommended support option, it will be listed below your recommended support option, under the Get More Help section. If you can’t locate it under the Get More Help section either, tap on See all – you’ll be taken to the All Support Options page, where you’ll be able to see and tap on the Bring in for Repair option.
- The next screen will present you with a list of all the Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers you can make a Genius Bar appointment at, starting with those closest to you. If you want, you can switch to Map view to see all of the stores as pins on a map of your location instead. Tap on the location you would like to make a Genius Bar appointment at.
- On the next screen, select a date and time for your appointment that you’re comfortable with.
- The next screen will provide you with an overview of the specifics of your appointment. Give the details a once-over, and if you’re satisfied, tap on Reserve to confirm your appointment.
How to Make an Appointment at the Genius Bar on the Web
If you don’t have a functional iPhone or iPad, worry not – you can make an appointment at the Genius Bar using any computer or device connected to the internet instead of the Apple Support app. To make a Genius Bar appointment on a computer, you need to:
- On an internet browser of your choice, make your way to Apple’s official Support website for Apple products and services.
- Click or tap on the device you require assistance with. Alternatively, you can also search for the specific issue you’re facing with the Apple product in question.
- Once you’ve further specified your issue to the website and the website has presented you with some support options, locate and click on the Start a repair request today link.
- On the next page, locate and click on Bring in for Repair or Schedule a Repair.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to set up and confirm your Genius Bar appointment.
Making an appointment at the Genius Bar when you require assistance with a hardware issue is especially beneficial since most Genius Bars offer same-day repairs for many hardware issues (cracked screens, for example). While having to go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have your Apple product looked at may be a drag, shipping the product to Apple to have it repaired instead will leave you without the product for 5-9 business days while it is repaired and shipped back to you. Once you have made a Genius Bar appointment, be sure to keep it. Apple outlines everything you need to know before you bring your device in for repairs here, but it is particularly important that you back up your iPhone, iPad or other Apple product before you take it to the Genius Bar.