AMD has just officially released their Radeon Pro 18.Q3 enterprise driver update, which includes packages available for supported Linux distributions, which officially are:
- RHEL 7.5 / CentOS 7.5
- RHEL 6.9 / CentOS 6.9
- Ubuntu 18.04.0
- Ubuntu 16.04.4
- SLED/SLES 12 SP3
These are QA-tested professional-grade driver updates for the current quarter, so Linux users should see performance and optimization improvements. Some of the notable issues fixed from the release notes:
- Linux Pro Unit Test failure may occur in OCL mode with Segmentation fault.
- User may experience problems while performing DGMA.
- User may experience a black screen on bootup with driver installed on Linux with Hawaii GL
- User may experience hangs when doing screen rotation with GLXGears with RHEL6.9 and SLED 12 SP3.
- Xserver may crash when performing screen rotation while running GLXGears in RHEL6.9.
- Display color issues may be observed after Driver installation.
- User may observe failures in Linux SSG OCL u5nit tests.
- Lagging may be observed while rendering with Freesync test application (Unigine Heaven).
- User may experience Nuke® Application crash while closing.
- Error messages may be observed while running Dgemm test.
- User may observe some hangs while enabling Vsync setting in Unigine Heaven system.
However, there are some remaining issues unresolved in this update. This includes GPU hangs on long stress tests, hangs within the Houdini application, call traces being observed while performing pm-suspend in dmesg/kmsg, and display color issues after installing the driver on SLED 12 SP3.
This update also brings Vulkan 1.1 support, and initial support for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS – which is great news for those who recently upgraded to the latest Ubuntu 18.04 LTS package.
The package is mainly intended for Vega Frontier, Radeon Pro, Radeon Pro WX, and FirePro S/W graphics cards, and the entire driver stack is derived from the 18.20 driver branch which includes both PRO and All-Open driver options.
If you’re using one of the supported Linux distros and card models, head over to the AMD driver download page to check out this update.