Portable document format or PDF is a format, which is used for saving files that cannot be modified but still easily shared and printed. Users can limit access to a PDF file by setting a password for it. This will protect the document and can be accessed only with a password. Password protection can also be set for editing, printing, and copying. However, many users that are less familiar with PDF security will not know how to add or remove password from pdf. In this article, we will show you many methods through which you can add or remove the password from PDFs.
1. Use the Adobe Acrobat DC Pro to Secure or Remove Password from PDF Files
Adobe Acrobat is software used for viewing, signing, sharing, and printing PDF files. It is one of the best choices for viewing and editing your PDFs. You can easily find the protect option in Adobe Acrobat which allows you to add or remove passwords from PDFs. However, this tool is only available in the Adobe Acrobat DC Pro. You can also use the trial version or simply use any other method.
- Open your browser and go to the Adobe Acrobat DC Pro site to download it. Install it by following the installation instructions.
Note: If you already have the Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, then skip this step.
- To add a password, open the PDF file in the Acrobat application. Now on the right pane, click on the Protect option.
- This will bring a new bar to the top of the document. Click on the Protect Using Password option as shown.
- Select the option for which you want to set a password. Provide the password and click on the Apply option. The PDF file will be protected by a password now.
- If you want to remove the password, then open the document and provide the password to open it.
- Click on the Protect option on the right pane again. It will bring up the bar with the protection options.
- Now click on the Advanced Options menu and then select Remove Security.
- It will ask for confirmation, simply click on the Ok to confirm. The password will be removed from the PDF file.
- Make sure to save the file after changing the settings for the PDF file. This will easily remove the password from pdf.
2. Using PDF2GO to Secure/Unsecure PDF Files with Passwords
Online sites are the best option for a quick workaround. You don’t need to download or install any application for one-time use. Simply upload the file, add the password or remove, and download it back to your system. There are many different sites that provide this tool. You can check other sites too, whichever you feel comfortable with. We will be using the PDF2GO site for demonstration in the below steps:
- Open your browser and go to the PDF2GO site.
- Click on the Choose File button to add the file. You can also drag and drop the file over this button to upload it on the site.
- Now add a password in the below fields for the PDF file. Click on the Start button to start the process.
- The download will start automatically for the PDF file. If not, simply click on the Download file to download the protected PDF file.
- You can also use the same PDF2GO site for removing the password from the PDF file. It has a tool named Unlock PDF under the All Tools menu.
- Upload the file for the unlock PDF by clicking on the Choose File button. You can also simply drag and drop the file over it.
- Now type the password and click on the Set Password. It will check it and if correct, you can click on the Start button to start removing the password.
- The site will process it and provide a download file automatically. If not, you can simply click on the Download button to start it manually.
3. Using the Microsoft Word to Add or Remove Passwords to PDF Files
This method can help if you have no PDF reader on your system. You can simply use Microsoft Word to add or remove the password to PDF files. However, this method will convert your PDF file to a Word file which will make some graphical changes to your PDF file. It may not look exactly like the original PDF file that you have depending on the graphics of your PDF.
- Open Microsoft Word by double-clicking on the shortcut or searching it through the Windows search feature.
- Click on the File menu and then select the Open option in the left pane. Browse for your PDF file and open it in Microsoft Word.
Note: It will ask for the conversion of the PDF to Word, click on the Ok button to open it.
- After the file is opened in Microsoft Word, click on the File menu again and choose Save As option. Click on Browse or any folder where you want to save.
- Select the file type as PDF and provide a different file name. Now click on the Options button.
- Tick the Encrypt the document with a password option and click Ok. Now provide the password for the PDF file.
- After all the steps, click on the Save button to save the PDF with a password.
- You can also remove the password in Microsoft Word. Open the protected PDF file and provide the password to open it.
- After that, click on the File menu and choose the Save As option again. This time simply select the file type as PDF, provide the name and click the Save button.
- It will save the file without any password as a simple PDF file.
Advanced: Using the Browser to Remove Password from PDF
Now if you have no application that is used in the above methods, then you can simply use any browser. Almost all browsers can open the PDF file without any issues. You can open it in the browser and use the print feature to save it again with a different name without any password. Check the below step to see how it is done:
- Navigate to your PDF file in your system. Right-click on the PDF file and choose the Open with > Chrome.
Note: You can choose any browser that you have, it will work the same.
- Press the Ctrl and P buttons together on your keyboard to use the Print feature. You can also find this option in the toolbar or options of your browser.
- The print window will open up, now select the Destination/Printer option as “Save as PDF” and click on the Save button.
- Provide the location and name for the file and save it. Now the new file will be a PDF without a password.