Locast is one of the best ways of viewing live streams of over-the-air television stations. If you’re looking for a reliable telecast option that won’t break the bank, this is probably it. It includes all the top channels like ABC, CBS, Fox NBC, and much more.
Is Locast free?
The service is free as it’s founded by an American non-profit, but as of now, it requires a minimum donation of $5 per month to view the programs without interruptions.
On what platforms is Locast Available?
- iOS, iPad
- Apple TV, AirPlay
- Fire TV
- Android TV
How to Activate Locast on a Supported Device
If you are trying to use Locast on a supported device, keep in mind that you’ll need to begin by activating the app for the Smart device that you’re using. Depending on the device you’re using, the instructions for doing so will be slightly different.
To make matters easier for you, we’ve put together a series of sub-guides that will walk you through the process of activating Locast according to the Streaming device that you’re using.
Important: There are a series of rules that apply to every activation sub-guide featured below:
- When activating Locast, you’ll need to use a separate device that is connected to the same network as your streaming device.
- You will need to log in with your existing Locast account or create a new account from scratch.
- The Activation code that you’ll fetch from the Locast app will need to be entered in all capital letters.
How to Activate Locast on Android TV
- Turn on your Android TV and use your TV remote to access the Google Play Store.
- Once you’re inside the Google Play Store, access the search icon at the top, type ‘locast.org’ inside the search bar, and select the Locast app from the list of results.
- From the dedicated listing of Locsat, download the app on your Smart TV and wait for the installation operation to complete.
- After the download and installation are complete, open the app and wait for the initial initialization to complete.
- Eventually, you should notice a unique activation code popping up on the screen. When you see it, take note of it.
- Once you’ve noted down the activation code, use any sort of browser (mobile or desktop) to navigate to locast.org/activate.
- At the next prompt, you will be required to verify your email. Do this by inserting the email address and password associated with the account that you used when creating your Locast account.
Note: If you don’t have an account yet, click or tap on the Create Account hyperlink.
- Once you have successfully signed in, you should see the Activate Locast page. When this happens, go ahead and insert the activation code that you previously retrieved at step 5.
Note: If you are not automatically redirected to the activation page, click on Activate (top-left menu next to Live TV Guide). If you are using a mobile browser, tap the 3 horizontal lines to display the Menu.
- Return to your Android device and you should see the Locast app refreshing within a few seconds, giving you access to the entire channel lineup.
How to Activate Locast on Apple TV
- Open up your Apple TV and use the Apple TV OS’s home screen to access the App Store.
- Inside the App Store, use the search function to find and download the Locast.Org app. Once you see the dedicated listing of Locast, hit the Get button and wait until the app is download and installed on your Apple TV.
- As soon as the app is downloaded, open the Locast app and wait until the activation code is generated. Once you see it, copy it or note it down.
- Open a desktop or mobile device (that is connected to the same network as your streaming device) and visit the Activation page of Locast.
- If you aren’t signed in already, you will be prompted to insert the user credentials associated with your account.
- Once you are signed in with your Locast accounts, you should see the window automatically redirected to the Activation page because the service realizes you are connected to the same network as a streaming device waiting to be activated.
Note: If the redirect doesn’t happen, access the menu in the top-right corner and click on Activation from the list of available options.
- Next, press the Caps Lock button and type the activation code that you fetched previously to ensure that the code is written in all capital letters.
- Return to your Apple TV device and you should see the LocalCast app automatically refreshing as you are given access to the full channel lineup.
How to Activate Locast on Roku
- Open up your Roku device and make sure it’s connected to a TV source.
- Next, access the Roku Channel Store from the main dashboard using your remote.
- Next, use the ChannelStore search bar to find and locate the listing associated with Locast.
- Once you see the Locast listing, access it once using your remote, then once you get on the dedicated app listing and tap on Get.
- Wait until the app is downloaded and installed, then open it as you’d normally do with any app and give it time to initialize.
- After the app is initialized, you will eventually come across the Activation screen that will give you the unique activation code. Take note of it and move to the next step below.
- Next, move to a PC or mobile device and use any browser to land on the Locast activation page. Once you’re inside, start by logging in with your Locast account (in case you’re not already signed in).
Note: If you don’t already have a Locast account, you will need to create one from scratch by clicking on the Create Account hyperlink.
- After you successfully sign in, you should be automatically redirected to the activation page where you will get the change to input the code you previously generated at step 6.
Note: You’ll need to ensure that the code you’re entering is in all caps, otherwise the activation process will fail.
- After you click on Submit, return to your Roku device and you should eventually see your TV screen refreshing as the app is authorized.
- Return to your Tivo device and start watching Locast content as the app should be activated in a couple of seconds.
How to Activate Locast on Fire TV
- Start by ensuring that your Amazon Fire device is connected to your TV and properly configured.
- Next, from the Home screen of your Fire TV device, use your remote to open the Amazon App Store.
- Once you’re inside the Play Store, use the search function to find and download the Locast app.
- When you finally find the correct app, access the dedicated listing, then download and install it onto your Fire TV device.
- After the app is successfully downloaded, open it from your Roku’s home interface and wait until you see the activation screen.
- When the activation code finally pops on screen, note it down before opening up a browsing application on any mobile or desktop device and visiting https://www.locast.org/activate.
- You will first be prompted by the login page, where you’ll need to either sign in with an existing Locast account or create one from scratch.
- Once you click or tap on Login, you should be automatically redirected to the Activation page where you can type the activation code that you previously retrieved. In case the redirect doesn’t happen, access the menu in the top-right or top-left corner (depending on your device) and access the Activation tab from the list of available options.
- Click or tap on Submit, then wait until the Locast Fire TV app gets the memo and authorizes access to the list of available channels.
How to Activate Locast on Tivo
- On your TiVo device, access the Stream app, then make your way to the Guide app.
- Look for the different Locast channels located in the guide and use the Channel UP/Down buttons to navigate through different channels.
- If Locast is not installed on your Tivo, choosing Locast content will take you directly to the Locast listing on Google Play where you will be prompted to install the app.
Note: If Locast is already installed, you will be taken to the Locast interface directly assuming you are already signed in.
- At the main Locast page inside your TiVo, you’ll see an activation code that you’ll need to note down.
- Open any type of browser (mobile or desktop) and visit https://www.locast.org/login.
- Once inside, sign in with your account (or create a new account from scratch)
How to Activate Locast on DirecTV
- Ensure that your DirecTV receiver is correctly connected to your TV.
- Use your DirecTV remote to press the right arrow in order to open the Apps screen.
- Once you’re inside the Apps screen, scroll down through the list of options and access the Locast app.
- After a couple of seconds, you should see the one-time activation code appearing inside the Locast app on your DirecTV. Once you see it, take note of it
- Next, open a mobile or desktop browser and visit the following page – locast.org/activate.
- Once inside, sign up with your Locast account or create a new account if you don’t have one already.
- After the sign-up process is complete, insert the activation code you previously got from the DirecTV page and click Submit. Make sure to insert the activation code in all caps.
Note: If you’re not automatically redirected to the activation page, access the menu at the top and tap or click on Activation.
- Once the activation process is complete, you should see your DirecTV Locast app automatically refreshing and giving you access to the entire channel library.
How to Activate Locast on Dish
- On your Dish remote, press the Apps button at the top of the remote.
- Once the Apps menu comes on screen, sure your remote to select Locast from the list of available options.
- Inside the Locast app, enter the email address and password associated with your Locast account.
- Complete the signup process, then start streaming content directly as there’s no need to activate it as you would normally need with other streaming devices.
How to Activate Locast on Android and iOS, iPadOS
Activating Locast on Android phones and tablets and iOS and iPadOS is not necessary as the verification is handled by the app.
But you’ll still need to download the application and create and verify a Locast account from within the Android or iOS app before you’ll be able to stream Local US channels via Locast.
Here are direct download links for the Locast app on Android and iOS:
Once you download and install the app version that is compatible with your mobile phone, simply follow the installation prompts – You’ll need to sign in with a Locast account or create one from scratch and validate it before you’ll be able to watch local Channels from within the application.
How to Activate Locast on Chromecast / AirPlay
Activation is also not required for Chromecast and Airplay-enabled devices as the account validation happens on the Android or iOS mobile device.
Important: If you’re using Chromecast, ensure that both the device and the Android device that you’re using are connected to the same network.
To start using Chromecast or AirPlay, simply tap on the Cast icon, then select the casting device you’re using.